Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Cinder

Written by: Marissa Meyer


Cinder is a unique retelling of the tale Cinderella that takes place in futuristic China. In this story the reader is introduced to a world that is overcome by technology. In fact, Cinder is a cyborg! (I did not see that one coming, but I also did not  know a thing about the book before I began to read.) Early on in the story Cinder meets Prince Kai and asks her to help repair his android. The Lunars are a dominating species in the book and Prince Kai is forced to marry the evil Queen Levana in order to avoid war with them. There are some aspects of this book that are similar to the original tale such as the ball, the prince, and the evil step-mother. However, Cinder has a unique and unpredictable spin that readers will love. 

 Marissa Meyer write the story in a way that the reader does not just connect to one character, rather the reader feels and understands every character on what feels like a personal level. Do not wait to read Cinder if you have not yet. This story encapsulates everyone that picks it up, and I know it will do the same for you as well!

If I ended up teaching an upper level Creative Writing class I would love to use this story. It can help spark creativity in my students, just as it does for many that pick it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment