Monday, April 27, 2015

Every Time I Climb a Tree

Written by: David McCord



I have included the poem from this story below, but do not let that keep you from reading this book! The illustrations are one of the greatest aspect of this story. Many more things are revealed through these pictures. 

"Every time I climb a tree 
Every time I climb a tree 
Every time I climb a tree 
I scrape a leg Or skin a knee 
And every time I climb a tree
 I find some ants
 Or dodge a bee 
And get the ants 
All over me 

And every time I climb a tree
 Where have you been?
 They say to me 
But don’t they know that I am free
 Every time I climb a tree? 
I like it best To spot a nest
 That has an egg 
Or maybe three 

And then I skin 
The other leg 
But every time I climb a tree 
I see a lot of things to see 
Swallows rooftops and TV 
And all the fields and farms there be 
Every time I climb a tree 
Though climbing may be good for ants
 It isn’t awfully good for pants 
But still it’s pretty good for me 
Every time I climb a tree"


Teachers can also use this poem as a form of grade three comprehension assessment. The link to the assessment is below. This test analyzes the interpretive comprehension. Interpretations are one of the most difficult types of comprehension. 

http://schools.cms.k12.nc.us/hiddenvalleyES/Documents/3rd%20Grade%20EOG%20Study%20Materials/Everytime%20I%20climb%20a%20Tree.pdf

Below is a video of just one girl who clearly loves this poem!

No comments:

Post a Comment